Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Moderation vs. Forgiveness

Moderation vs. Forgiveness

I always hear that you can eat anything in moderation.  Coffee is good in moderation.  Chocolate is good in moderation.  And I do believe that this is true.  One can eat anything in moderation so long as it's real food.  However, one should never eat hormones or chemicals in moderation.  When it comes to substances full of chemicals, additives, hormones, processed sugars, high levels of salt, blah, blah, blah that companies try to pass as food, there is no such thing as in moderation.  You should never ingest those substances.  

I've heard people say that eating at McDonald's is okay in moderation.  I have to vehemently disagree.  Have you seen what chicken mcnuggets look like before they bread it (with more chemicals) and deep-fry it?  Have a gander at this!  That, my friends, is absolutely not real food.  And we haven't even discussed the burgers.  And when we let our children eat at these fast food places (I will NOT use the word "restaurant"), we are creating a fast-food client for life.  They develop the taste for those fast-food substances, and McDonald's has a lifelong customer.  Why do you think Happy Meals have toys and are so cheap?  Yep.  Lifelong customer.  It's even worse when we make McDonald's a treat once in a while.  Treats are supposed to be good, right?  Arguments about moderation remind me of my friend who is an alcoholic.  He told me once that he now only drank half the bottle of vodka a night instead of the entire bottle because he was going to start drinking in moderation.

I could write a tome about what's wrong with McDonald's (and BK and Wendy's, etc), but that's not the point of this post.  This post is about forgiveness.

So you've taken your kids to McDonald's.  Heck, you've eaten at McDonald's more than a few times and enjoyed it.  But please don't give yourself a break by saying that it's okay to eat fast-food substances in moderation.  Because when you do that, you allow yourself to go there over and over again, albeit in moderationEating chemicals, hormones, processed food in moderation?  That's one big lie. 

Instead, call it for what it is.  A mistake.  Something you should regret.  (In his TED talk, Jamie Oliver calls it something quite more than a mistake, which you can view here.)

Then forgive yourself.  

That's right.  Forgive yourself, but don't allow yourself to think that it's anything but wrong. 

And you know what?  Tomorrow's another day.  Commit yourself to cooking something easy and healthful for dinner.  And to try not to go to the drive-thru again.   

6 comments:

  1. A very Lenten post :) - forgive and move on. My dinner plans include quinoa with shiitake mushrooms and kabocha pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, that sounds absolutely delicious. If I can find kabocha in Chicago, I'm going to make it!

      Delete
  2. Love this post. I agree with you 99% (in moderation)! I too am against chemical additives, artificial hormones, & manufactured foods which are doused with flavors that CAN be addictive (anything with excess salt, sugar, or fat, and little nutritional value qualifies). McD's is an easy target. When I was a kid, my mom didn't worry if I drank soda. I probably averaged a Coke per day & ate fast food once every few weeks, but she made veggie-ful meals daily. Now I NEVER eat McD's. When I was in the midst of remod-hell, I thoroughly enjoyed getting a huge, chemical-laden, Diet Root Beer at A & W on my way home from the hardware store! What can I say? I was parched! Maybe a mistake, but so easy to forgive, it's one I might repeat, in similar circumstances. :) Temperance is all about regulating ourselves for balance & health, and it depends on the substance, the ratio of damage (environmental as well as personal) to nourishment (pleasure-wise as well as physically). Keep up the compelling posts! I have a dilemma loosely related to temperance that I've been meaning to post on my own blog for 2 days, but haven't had time to put it together. Interesting that we're on a similar wavelength with our thoughts on dietary restriction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this was so long but, as to be expected with my Lenten veganism, I'm reflecting on this kind of thing a lot lately!

      Delete
    2. Christine! I can't wait to read your post! I agree, there is a balance between what's good for our bodies and what is good for our souls -- so for you, a diet Root Beer was good for your soul on that day! I just think that as we age and as we raise children, we need to be mindful that what we put in our bodies; and healthful food can become what is good for our souls too. Just like how you can train yourself to start wanting to eat veggies, as you stated in your post!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary! I know you already know this, but here's the "latest" b.s. from McD's! Yuck!

    http://www.nationofchange.org/mcdonald-s-rejects-anti-obesity-campaign-proud-responsible-menu-1338134147#

    ReplyDelete