Monday, July 9, 2012

HOMEMADE GRUYERE AND ROSEMARY BREAD


I have a few simple recipes that I use again and again for different things.  For example, I have a pancake recipe that I also use for waffles and aebleskivers (Danish pancakes).  I have a basic soup stock recipe that I use for different kinds of soups.  I have a pizza dough recipe that I also use for calzones and cheesy bread.  Having one basic recipe gives you the ability to be a little more creative, a little more able to take risks.  Here's my recipe for Gruyere and rosemary bread, using my easy pizza dough recipe.  We ate this with my Tuscan cannellini and kale soup, and the entire meal was delicious.

I only use half of the dough made, and you can easily cover and save the other half of your dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.  Go ahead and think of your own combination and give it a whirl.  You really can't go wrong with cheese and bread!


 HOMEMADE GRUYERE AND ROSEMARY BREAD:

Bread recipe or my pizza dough recipe, using only half the dough (or use all the dough by doubling the recipe below for 2 loaves of bread).
4 oz. shredded smoked Gruyere cheese
1 tablespoon of dried or fresh Rosemary, stems removed and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste



 Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a square or rectangular shape until it's about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.  Don't worry too much about the shape or thickness.

Scatter shredded cheese and rosemary over the dough.  Add salt and pepper if you wish.




From one end, start rolling the dough up until you have a bread "log."  Tuck and pinch the dough ends together so the cheese won't ooze out during baking.  If the bread loaf looks too thin and long, push the ends toward each other to create a thicker loaf.




Score (slice the top) the loaf of bread about three times to let the steam out.  Place on a baking sheet or baking stone at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.



After cooling off for a few minutes, slice and serve.  Enjoy with soup or a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment