Saturday, August 11, 2012

Basics: HOW TO ROAST BEETS


       
Beets are a great source of vitamins, manganese and riboflavin.  And they're cheap and easy to make.  Because they are naturally sweet, many kids love to eat them.  So why don't we eat more beets?  I know many people who just think they can't roast beets and opt for the already peeled and roasted beets from the store which may contain preservatives.   I, too, was one of those people, but roasting beets is as easy as 1, 2, 3!







1.  Wrap in tin foil the washed beet roots, just like you would to make a baked potato.




2.  Bake wrapped beets in the oven (I use my toaster oven to save energy) for about 1 hour and 15 minutes at 375 degrees.






3.  Once they're cooled, the skin of the beets easily peel off.   Peel, slice and serve!
 
 








For a delicious nutrient-rich dish, serve the beets with spinach, goat cheese, walnuts and my Dijon vinaigrette.









No comments:

Post a Comment