Friday, March 2, 2012

END-OF-WEEK VEGGIE "STIR-FRY"



At the end of the week, I usually have a bunch of vegetables left over in my fridge.  In order to put those to use, an easy stir-fry of leftover veggies is always easy and delicious.  However, because there are six in our family (and usually guests over on Friday nights), there are so many requests for "more of this" and "less of that" and "not too spicy please" that I've come up with a way of granting each individual's gastronomical wishes by baking each person's stir-fry in packets (something I gleaned from watching friends make meals in parchment paper and from cookbooks).

Stay with me here.  So, it's not technically a "stir-fry," but maybe best described as a "stir-bake."

I put chopped leftover veggies in a big bowl.  I then put whatever sauce I'm using to season the veggies (usually I use soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil mix).  Today I used my leftover peanut sauce, and just added a bit more water and soy sauce to it to make it more runny so that it could coat the vegetables.

Then I place an individual-sized portion of veggies on a large rectangle of heavy duty aluminum foil (about 12" x 18").  I add whatever the eater wants ("more sauce," "less tofu," "add cilantro") to that person's packet and wrap it up tightly.


 






 For me, I love spicy food, so I include many slices of fresh jalapeno in my packet.














When I've finished a packet, I write the person's name with a permanent marker right on the aluminum foil, lest my toddler gets my capsaicin by accident.







Put the packets on a baking sheets on the middle-lower rack at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, and you'll have individual stir-bakes for each person.  Serve on a pile of brown rice.  How easy is that?  吃!



TIPS:
*For people who don't want to use too much fat, this is a great option for the flavor of a stir-fry without the oil.

*Make sure you wrap the foil tightly by crimping and folding at least a couple of times.

*No need to measure the vegetables.  Just estimate a portion per person when chopping vegetables and include at least one more portion just in case.  Remember, the veggies cook down a bit too.

*You can also put in precooked meat.  For shrimp, you can actually put in uncooked shrimp, and they will come out cooked in the packet.

*You can use whatever sauce your little heart desires.  Asian (soy sauce), French (dijon and tarragon), Italian (capers and tomatoes), Mexican (salsa).




1 comment: