Sunday, March 11, 2012

PRESTO no-cheese PESTO!


We love freshly-made pesto in our house, and it's so easy to make that there's just no excuse not to make it yourself.  The other night, I thought I had all the ingredients for pesto.  So there I am, half way through making the pesto, and BAM! -- no Parmesan cheese in the refrigerator.  Well, pesto doesn't really need cheese, but I wanted to give it some kick, so I went to my secret ingredient.  Miso to the rescue!


Miso's flavor mimics that of cheese but keeps the whole dish vegan.  An excellent substitution for those who want to limit their cholesterol intake without losing flavor.  Please try this recipe.  You'll be incredibly surprised at how savory it is.  My oldest daughter ate 3 bowls.








* one package (2.5 oz) of organic basil
* equal amount of sliced almonds (you can use pine nuts, but I like almonds, and I use the sliced and roasted ones because it's so easy)
* 3 large sections of garlic
* 1 tablespoon red or white organic miso
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 a jalapeno (optional)


Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.  If the pesto is too dry, add some more olive oil.

Add on top of noodles or flat bread and serve.  If you have any leftover pesto (very unlikely), you can keep it in the refrigerator for about 5 days.  The pesto might discolor, but the flavor will still be delicious.  Buon appetito!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Thank you! I need to explore miso more. Brett will love it too!

    ReplyDelete